Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VA Dizziness Care Investigating and Treating Services Available from VA Audiology
The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) estimates that 40% of
the US population will experience some form of dizziness or balance difficulty over their lifetime.
Investigating and treating dizziness is one of the many services of the VA Audiology team, which improves
Veterans’ quality of life and helps them return to their daily activities. Florida Veteran Robert had seen an
audiologist for episodes of dizziness and a neurologist for migraines. He experienced daily dizziness 31
episodes, which he described as a “drunken, spinning” sensation. He also experienced nausea and imbalance
following a Traumatic Brain Injury in 2012.
Robert’s Miami VA audiology team quickly shifted to virtual care for vestibular rehabilitation therapy
(VRT) using VA Video Connect (VVC). Video Connect allowed him and others to continue their care
without leaving their homes. At first, he was reluctant. “I felt thrilled at the prospect at the time, but I was
also curious as to its potential effectiveness versus in-person treatment,” he said. “Thankfully, both concerns
were addressed most positively, the travel time and distance as well as effectiveness success in treatment.”
Much needed and appreciated treatment
Robert attended weekly/bi-weekly virtual visits between October 2020 and March 2021. During this
period of the COVID-19 pandemic, if not for video connect therapy, my malaise may have continued
without treatment,” he added. “Video Connect has allowed for much-needed and appreciated treatment
while safeguarding my life and potential exposure to the COVID19 virus.” Robert shared that his healthcare
provider experience was professional, patient and accommodating, finding scheduling to be manageable
and much less stressful as he could coordinate directly with the provider in the event of a need for
rescheduling.
Reactions have been overwhelmingly positive. At the Lovell Federal Health Care Center in Chicago,
medical staff use telehealth to evaluate dizzy patients. Patients are from the parent medical center and five
community-based outpatient centers in the immediate area. The locations identify patients closer to home
and determine if advanced testing is needed. One Veteran remarked that “it was swift and easy.” Another
expressed appreciation for the virtual care opportunity, saying “It’s at least three hours for me to get up to
the main facility for dizziness issues. Now, I am only two miles away from the closest accommodating
clinic.” Robert’s story and those at other facilities like Lovell are the reason we are committed to building
connections on all fronts of VA care. VA Audiology is excited to be a part of the growing virtual care
opportunities and innovations in virtual vestibular evaluation and treatment allowing us to help Veterans
return to daily activities safely.
Learn more about the various telephone and telehealth options used to address VHA audiology patient
needs from a distance by visiting VA’s Audiology web page https://www.rehab.va.gov/audiology. VA
Video Connect Instructions for Patients (a video that provides instructions on how to use the VA Telehealth
system).
 Enterprise Remote Tuning of Hearing Instruments (ERTHI).
 VA Cochlear Implant Centers.
 Vendor Resources to assist patients with a hearing aid and accessory maintenance.